If you’re a succulent lover that own a dog or a cat, you probably worry about them chewing your plants. Did your pet just dug your favorite succulent out just for fun? As much as you’re angry, you should consider if a succulent you own can be poisonous for your pets. Most of the succulents are perfectly safe for pets, but here’s the list of some plants that can harm your furry friends if they digest them or even just make contact.
Aloe is a very popular succulent. It comes in various shapes and sizes, from little ones to 30 feet giants. As you probably know, aloe can do a lot of good for human health- it can treat burns, scars and other skin conditions. However, aloe can harm your pets, especially dogs, cats, and horses. Digesting aloe can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, tremors, skin irritation, and lethargy. If you notice that any of your pets have some of these symptoms, its a sign of poisoning from saponin, a chemical found in aloe.
This is the most common species of Crassula. Its known in South Africa as a money tree, friendship tree or lucky tree. Jade Plant have thick, shiny, smooth leaves that grow in opposite pairs. Its still unknown what substance makes this plant toxic, but you want to keep your cat or a dog from it. Some symptoms of poisoning are lethargy, vomiting, incoordination or even depression. When it comes to Crassula, another highly toxic species is Silver Jade Plant. It can cause vomiting and nausea to pets if digested.
This succulent is also known as Firestick or Pencil Cactus. This name is perfect for its slender leaves with cylindrical branches. Theis color can vary from green to orange-red and usually intensifies during winter. This cactus can be toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. The main part of the plant you need to keep your pets from are saps. if they chew this plant, you can notice vomiting and mild irritation of mouth and stomach. These symptoms are not strong, but you should probably get that checked with a veterinarian.
Also known as Snake Plant, this succulent has long, windy, mostly green leaves that points upwards. This is a great succulent for newbies because it can last long without any additional care. Although its commonly know as a purifier of the air, it can be toxic for pets. The substance that causes poisoning is saponin. If you notice your pet’s vomiting, having nausea or diarrhea, they probably chewed on your Snake Plant. This succulent is highly dangerous if you have a dog or cat.
Kalanchoes are very popular because of their extraordinary beauty and easy growing. There are hundreds of species and all of them produce breathtaking flowers so they’re very popular ornamental plants. Kalanchoes are also highly toxic to cats and dogs. They contain bufadienolides cardiac glycosides, which can cause irregular heartbeats, abnormal heart rhythm, and severe weakness. If digested in the large amount, some of the species can even be fatal. Some of the most dangerous species are Kalanchoe Tomentosa (Panda Plant), Kalanchoe Delagoensis (Mother of Millions) and Kalanchoe Daigremontiana (Mother of Thousands).
This very popular succulent is also known as Crown of Thorns, which comes from the story of Christ’s crucifixion and the mock crown placed on Jesus’ head at the crucifixion. These succulents are highly adapted to growing indoors. they can be 1-2 feet tall and produce red, pink or white flowers. This succulent is very poisonous to pets and even humans. If you have it in your home, you already know you have to be very careful while working with it. Iny contact can cause skin irritation and it can be fatal if digested. The milky sap of the plant, known as latex, is the main toxic ingredient. Besides skin irritation, your pet can experience diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. Dogs usually have blistering and swelling around the eyes and mouth area.